Four more Russians were killed in the violent Dier Al-Zor region of Syria, after an attack on Syrian army positions by rebels. The region is well known as the location of the battle between Russian mercenaries and American air power where hundreds of Russians under the Wagner mercenary command were killed attempting to seize an oilfield in the area.
“Four Russian military personnel were killed in fighting in eastern Syria’s Deir al-Zor province, Interfax news agency reported on Sunday, citing the Russian Defence Ministry. The fighting erupted after several groups of rebels attacked an artillery battery of the Syrian army, the ministry said. Two Russian military advisers who directed the fire of the Syrian battery were killed on the spot. Five other personnel were injured and taken to a Russian military hospital. Two of them died from their wounds. The ministry said that 43 rebels had been killed in the same fighting,” reported The Moscow Times.
Last month, American Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed that 300 Russian mercenaries were killed by American air power in the region in February.
No senior Trump admin has publicly confirmed this high death toll before today.#Pompeo: "A couple hundred Russians were killed" in #Syria during Feb 7 attack on US special forces in Deir al-Zor pic.twitter.com/2wKi7paPSK
— Andrew S. Weiss (@andrewsweiss) April 12, 2018